Monday, October 6, 2014

Please excuse this brief interruption...

But can we please, please, talk for a minute about Twin Peaks?!?!?



Laura Palmer told us she'd see us again in 25 years, and it turns out that she was telling the truth.

Showtime announced today that Twin Peaks will return in 2016. It will a be a nine-episode series, co-written by the series creators, David Lynch and Mark Frost, and all episodes will be directed by Lynch himself. You can check out the announcement video below:


As a huge Twin Peaks fan (I own two Twin Peaks shirts; the poster is in my office; and, the theme is my ringtone), I cannot begin to describe how exiting this is! I can remember my mom watching the show when I was a kid (it originally aired from 1990-91), and even though I didn't really understand any of it, I loved it! I was so aware that I was watching something unlike anything else - it was a world I'd never seen, quirky and spooky and funny, and I recognized that it was special. 

For those of you who don't know, here's a rundown of the show (but no spoilers, because you should all go watch it!): The show follows the people of a northwestern town, Twin Peaks, in the immediate aftermath of the shocking murder of the local sweetheart and Homecoming Queen, Laura Palmer. We, the viewers, really see the town through the eyes of an outsider, FBI Agent Dale Cooper, who is sent to investigate the murder. But, as Agent Cooper quickly begins to realize, nothing in Twin Peaks is quite what it seems (especially the owls), and the town's secrets are gradually exposed. The result is a show that is moody and surreal, endearing and funny, and often downright weird.  

And, it features the best opening sequence and song in the history of television:


I recently returned to Twin Peaks with my husband. He had never watched the show, but he gifted me the blu-ray boxed set for my birthday, and together we watched both seasons, Fire Walk With Me, and every extra feature we could find. We both fell in love with it. When we had finished it, we lamented every night how much we missed Twin Peaks - not just the show, but the place and its people and all of its secrets. And like all other fans, we somehow knew that Twin Peaks was still out there, waiting for us. 

If you've never seen the show, this is a great time to watch it (it's on Netflix, and Showtime plans to air the original two seasons prior to the new mini-series), and I also encourage you to watch Fire Walk With Me (despite the critical backlash it received when it came out - really, that discussion needs to be another blog post). And, if you're really interested in the Twin Peaks revival, I highly recommend following David Lynch, Mark Frost, and Kyle MacLachlan, as most of the good stuff seems to be breaking in tweets. (Case in point, the Twitterverse seems to have confirmed that MacLachlan is for sure back as Agent Cooper.) And, I'll do my best to keep you posted here - it's going to be an exciting countdown to 2016. 




No comments:

Post a Comment