Sunday, October 26, 2014

Danny Isn't Here, Mrs. Torrance.

There's something you should know about me before I begin talking about the movie, The Shining.

I read The Shining for the first time when I was in high school, and it terrified me in a way that I thought no book ever could. I've read it again, many times, and the scares are always still there for me. It is a horrifying tale, not so much of a haunted hotel or a murderous man, but of the disintegration of a family.


I think it is Stephen King's finest novel, and that's saying something, because he has sure written some good ones.


And so, like pretty much anyone else out there who loves the book, I'm kind of conflicted about the movie. As Kubrick admitted - and King lamented - the film is, at best, a loose interpretation of the novel, and it leaves out much of what I found so frightening about the story itself.


But, even with that conflict, I have to say: The Shining is one helluva scary movie.


The plot is deceptively simple: a frustrated writer, with a history of alcoholism, takes a job as caretaker of a secluded hotel, and he moves his family there for the winter. Like I said, simple, right? Add to that a bevy of supernatural activity within the hotel, and a young boy with psychic abilities, and things suddenly get much more interesting.


Kubrick is a technical master of film making, and so I think much of the film's success comes from his precise vision and execution - the razor sharp edge of his direction, coupled with the cold setting and tone of the film, make it an uncomfortable film to watch. I always find myself shivering, even under blankets.


And not just because it looks like this:




No. It's much more about this guy:


Jack Nicholson's performance as Jack Torrance is so good, it's brutal. Nobody does crazy like Jack. Nobody. 

But he isn't the only source of my shivers. There are also hauntingly creepy shots like this one:


But, wait until it zooms in...


Spooky, right? The juxtaposition of tiny Danny Torrance in that seemingly endless hallway makes me feel so small and scared. And then those twins! Is there anything creepier than little girls dressed like dolls?

And then there's the elevator scene. 



Yes, yes, there is something creepier than those girls, and it is that elevator.


The Shining is an ultimate Halloween movie, and you still have two chances to catch it at The Blue Starlite - October 29th and November 1st - so grab your tickets now!


And, in the meantime, here are some fun links to make you the life of any The Shining viewing party:



  • The trailer for The Shining re-cut as a romantic comedy. Genius. 


  • IKEA's excellent Shining-inspired ad.



  • And, The Shining in 30 seconds, re-enacted by bunnies. Because this is what has been missing from your life. (Plenty more of these jewels can be found here.)

Enjoy, friends! Happy Halloween!

4 comments:

  1. This is the role that defined Jack Nicholson for me. It was a magnificent performance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff! I haven't seen The Shining in forever. I've been to Timberline Lodge at Mt. Hood where the outside scenes (minus the maze) were filmed quite a few times. Always kind of creeped me out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too adore the book, and I enjoy this adaptation as its own entity. Shelly Duvall always impressed me with her vulnerability in this. Wendy seems so fragile, like the strain of her fear will actually break her to pieces, which makes Danny seem ever more vulnerable, and the terror mounts :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so agree with the acting comments! This is truly Jack at his crazy best, and I think Shelley Duvall is often overlooked because of it - his performance is so over the top, while hers is so understated and quiet.
    And, Jayson, I am so jealous!

    ReplyDelete