Saturday, August 30, 2014

There's a little Fred Savage in us all

When discussing a film such as The Princess Bride, everyone has their favorite character... Girls born in the early 80s may choose Robin Wright's Buttercup or swoon over Cary Elwes' Westley. Male fans will likely pick Mandy Patinkin's Inigo Montoya or the too-clever-for-his-own-good Vizzini. Now, before I start to sound too much like a BuzzFeed article, let's discuss the character I most related to as a child: Fred Savage as "The Grandson."


(This gif will be the last of my BuzzFeed-esque blog writing techniques)

It is highly unlikely I was taken to the movie theater to see The Princess Bride in its original run, as I was 45 days old at the time. This lead me to discover it years later. My older sister was a huge fan and likely wore out the VHS copy we had in our house. Though I could quote "Inconceivable!" and "My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father," and so on and so forth it is likely that I never viewed The Princess Bride in its entirety until much later.

Before you prepare your torches and pitchforks, hear me out. 


What about this cover says "swashbuckling adventure"? None of it. The words "Princess" and "Bride" with a romantic scene playing out front and center. Ten bucks says I looked at the VHS and said "Is this a kissing movie?" 

This, however, is the reason why adding in Peter Falk and Fred Savage as Grandfather and Grandson to frame the story was such a smart move (smart enough that it was featured in the film's trailer). It gave us late 80s boys, who frankly were more interested in sports and the Nintendo Entertainment System, a reason to press on through the movie. 

Thankfully, I eventually discovered my love for The Princess Bride, and it is a film that I rarely pass up the opportunity to see on the big screen. Be sure to not miss it at Blue Starlite on August 30 and 31 at 8:15 and don't forget to raise a glass to The Grandson, the unsung hero of The Princess Bride.

Have fun storming the castle.

No comments:

Post a Comment